In 2008 a spacious new education suite was opened.
It includes all the necessary rooms for interpretation and storage. With its limited, secure access it offers special toilet facilities for children, cupboards for bags and coats and tables for crafts and/or lunch.
We devise day programmes bespoke to each class/school visit, to suit their topic, age, and ability.
Each programme includes a guided tour which can focus on specific areas of interest and use of the Education Suite. The most popular activities during a day visit are:
- Window Collage – making a Lady Chapel window in groups of 6
- Sketching – sheets from morning groups of up to 30 are backed with cathedral images and laminated to make souvenir place mats
- Clay – bosses for groups of up to 30
- Arches – workshop, exploring forces, architectural styles, and the famous scissor arches
- Symbols – workshop and badge making
Each day programme can also include a stilling activity, and time for pupils for read prayers (usually before lunch, sometimes at both the end of the morning and the end of the day). Prayers are usually written prior to the visit as part of a literacy lesson. Reading from the Cathedral pulpit is quite a thrill.
Activities are linked to the National Curriculum and if you would like to discuss your requirements further please contact us at [email protected] or on 01749 674483.