The Acting Dean and Chancellor
Canon Andrew Featherstone
The earliest recorded Chancellor of Wells Cathedral is Peter of Winchester c.1184-1188 (also identified as mag. schol. in 1188). The Chancellor, also known in those days as archischola, had educational and legal responsibilities such as head of the cathedral school, keeper of the Seal and legal advisor to the Chapter. Today the role includes responsibilities for the Ministry of Welcome, Outreach, Education, and has oversight of the Cathedral’s extensive volunteer programme.
Andrew read Theology at St. Chad’s College, Durham, worked for the Richmond Fellowship as a residential social worker for three years and then went on to theological training at Salisbury & Wells Theological College. The first twenty-five years of his ordained ministry were spent in the north-east of England in a variety of parishes: a suburban area in the west end of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Ashington, a coal-mining town, Crook and Stanley, a market town and village. Whilst at Crook he completed an MA in Ecclesiology and for five years he was also Rural Dean of Stanhope which includes the deeply rural area of Weardale, before moving to Stockton Parish Church: a civic church and town centre parish. In 2005, he was made Chancellor of Wells Cathedral.
The Bishop of Bath and Wells, the Rt Reverend Peter Hancock appointed Canon Andrew Featherstone as Acting Dean of Wells in 2015, following the retirement of John Clarke, while the process of appointing a new Dean of Wells is undertaken. Andrew is married with three daughters.