The Reading Room was created in 2002 in order to allow much wider access to the post 1800 books and journals. The collection complements and extends that of the Chained Library, with modern translations and commentaries on theological and spiritual works as well as books on history, biography, archaeology and all aspects of Cathedral life. It acts as a resource centre for the cathedral’s Guides, Friends, volunteers and anyone interested in the cathedral’s development over the years.
The Reading Room is open Mondays to Fridays 11.00-13.00 and 14.00-16.00. It is also often open on Saturdays. Be aware that access is by a stone spiral staircase and may not be suitable for those with mobility problems.
Visitors are welcome throughout opening times, however readers requiring a quiet study environment will be given priority. The Chained Library can be viewed by the public from the Reading Room, and provides opportunities for enchanting photographs.