Gothic Architecture in Wells Cathedral
‘A Doorway into Gothic Architecture’
Wells, England’s first Gothic Cathedral, is the work of an unknown designer who was a master mason of original genius.
The Early English Nave shows his work in its confident perfection; the West Front is the crowning achievement of this period. The Decorated period shows the work of two more highly original masters in the Chapter House, the Lady Chapel and the unique ‘Scissor’ Arches. England’s distinctive contribution to the Gothic is seen to perfection in the Perpendicular chantry chapels.
So the Cathedral offers a ‘textbook’ of English mediaeval architecture – without the dryness often associated with such works.
Our guided tour package for groups costs £10 per person (Inc. VAT) and includes the following:
• Entrance into the unique and magnificent Wells Cathedral, its surrounding grounds and Vicars’ Close
• A guided tour hosted by one of our experienced Cathedral Guides (lasts approx. 1 hour) which can be a general tour or a special interest tour theme such as Architecture
• Photo permit for every group member (usually a separate charge of £4 per person)
• Fast track entry to the Cathedral (an entrance pack will be ready for you upon arrival to aid speedy entry)
• One free place for your party leader
How to book:
Tours will last approximately 1 ½ hours and must be pre-booked through the Cathedral Office. For more information please contact us on 01749 674483 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shopping and Refreshments
A warm welcome awaits you in our Cathedral shop which stocks a wide range of unique mementoes and gifts.
Our café also offers a tempting array of freshly cooked, locally-sourced food and pre-booked catering packages are also available for Groups booking a tour. Simply call 01749 676543 for details or visit our Catering Packages for Groups page on the website.