The West Front

The West Front


The present Cathedral was begun about 1175 on a new site to the north of an old minster church.

Bishop Reginald de Bohun brought the idea of a revolutionary architectural style from France, and Wells was the first English cathedral to be built entirely in this new Gothic style.

The first building phase took about eighty years, building from east to west, culminating in the magnificent West Front. About 300 of its original medieval statues remain: a glorious theatrical stone backdrop for feast day processions.

Listen to our Music

The Cathedral is open for individual prayer and quiet reflection from 11am-3.45pm Mon-Sat, and 12pm-2pm on Sunday. Public worship has resumed and all are welcome to attend services in the Cathedral.