Wells Cathedral, in all aspects of its life, is committed to and will promote the safeguarding of children, young people and adults who may be at risk of harm, neglect or abuse.
Despite all protective measures, those who are determined to exploit and abuse others can sometimes find a way to do so.
If you are a victim or survivor of abuse that happened in the Cathedral setting, please get in touch using any of the contacts below:
|Who to Contact:|
|Police Emergency||999 (Non-Emergency call 101)|
|Cathedral Administrator:||Mrs Jackie Croft||01749 674483|
|Cathedral Safeguarding Adviser:||Mrs Miranda Young||01749 674483 ext 211|
|Chapter member (responsible for Safeguarding matters) :||The Revd Canon Nichols Jepson-Biddle||01749 674483|
|Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser:||Glenys Armstrong||01749 685135 or 07834 514842|
|Somerset Direct||Children & Adults Social Care||0300 123 2224|
|NSPCC||0808 800 5000|
The Chapter adopts the House of Bishops’ National Safeguarding Policies and Practice, details of which are available on the Church of England website here. We work with the Diocesan Safeguarding team, statutory bodies and other agencies to foster and deliver best practice within our community.
We are committed to:
- The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry of, all children, young people and adults
- The safeguarding and protection of all children and adults
- The establishment of a safe, caring community which provides an environment where there is a culture of informed vigilance regarding the dangers of abuse, and where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and find support
- The promotion of best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse
To this end
- We will carefully select, support and train all those with any responsibility within the Church, in line with Safer Recruitment principles, including the use of criminal records disclosures and registration/membership of the relevant vetting and barring schemes
- We will respond without delay to every complaint made, that any adult, child or young person may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and local authority in any investigation
- We will seek to offer informed pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them an appropriate ministry that recognises the importance of understanding the needs of those who have been abused
- We will seek to protect survivors of sexual abuse from the possibility of further harm and abuse
- We will seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of trust
- We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision, and referral to the appropriate authorities, to any member of our church community known to have committed offences against a child, young person or adult
In all principles we will follow legislation, guidance and recognised good practice.
For more information about our safeguarding policy please contact us at:
Cathedral Offices, Chain Gate, Cathedral Green, Wells, BA5 2UE
Tel: 01749 674483